01 oktober 2012

Classic Biscuit Cake


Biscuitcake! At least that's how I call it. It's light, it's moist, it's everything you expext from a cake. OK cut the crap. It's just an ordinary biscuitcake. Nothing special: As my father (or brother) said today: What's so special about this? The answer is: NOTHING. You only need 4 ingrediënts. FOUR!

Flour - Eggs - Sugar - Cornstarch. (And some vanillasugar but that's no big deal).



 To be true, it has been a while since I last made a biscuit cake. My experience with it weren't really good but recently a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to help her with making a biscuitcake and of course I said yes. Eventually it turned out that I made the cake and she made some scrambled eggs because something went wrong while splitting the eggs and I thought it would be a shame to just throw an egg away.

Anyway, so I made the cake and suprisingly it tasted really really good (ok not surprisingly) but everything went well while making it (not including the eggs, that was a disaster) so I was really proud of myself. So proud that I wanted to make it again and here's the result (which I'm very happy with).


I'm still figuring out what to do with my camera, because I really want to make beautiful pictures such as Tartelette does but hey I can do worse, right?


The cake:

4 eggs (separated)
90 gr. sugar
16 gr. vanilla sugar
60 gr. regular flour
40 gr. cornstarch
2 tbs. lemon zest
pinch of salt

First: preheat your oven to 165C or 330F

Then whisk together 4 egg yolks with 35 grams of sugar until it's light and creamy, or until it falls of your whisk like a ribbon.

Sift the flour and cornstarch together in a separated bowl and set aside.

Whisk in another (super clean!) bowl with a clean whisk the 4 egg whites with a pinch of salt to very stiff peaks. Add during the whisking the remaining sugar (55 gram) and vanilla sugar (16 gram) to the egg whites.

When that is done (so stiff peaks), add the egg whites and lemon zest with the egg yolk mixture along with the dry ingredients and with a spatula, carefully fold it in.

Grease your baking pan (mine was a round 16cm pan) and fill it with the mixture.

Then let your biscuit cake bake in a preheated oven for about 50 minutes.

tip: you can serve it with whipped cream (or jam).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten